Avocado in my hummus? Yes, Please! This avocado hummus recipe is for all those who can’t seem to decide if they like guacamole or hummus better. So why not combine the two and turn it into something incredible?
One of my favorite parts of not making hummus just out of chickpeas is that you can maximize the nutritional value of your hummus. Chickpeas are a great vegan fiber and protein source but sometimes it can be really heavy. Like major food baby heavy (thankfully it’s still sweater season). You know what I’m talking about. :D Adding avocado adds some heart healthy fat to your hummus and will lighten it up a bit so your not eating pure protein.
I made the avocado hummus without tahini this time but it really didn’t need it. I’m not really into adding ingredients into recipes just for kicks. They should only be there for a reason. So be gone, tahini! Which is nice for this hummus recipe since tahini isn’t something most people (I’m not most people) always have at home.
Anyways, you are going to make the avocado hummus the same way you would any other hummus recipe. Surprise! Surprise!
Dump it all into your food processor and blend until smooth.
Once it’s nice and creamy, put it in a bowl, sprinkle with some red pepper flakes, and eat up!
Oh and if you ever wanted to try to sneak avocado into your kids food or diet, this is the way! Couldn’t keep my boys little paws out of it! Weirdly, my kids didn’t even mind the red pepper flakes.
- 1½ cups Chickpeas ( rinsed and drained from a can or soaked and cooked)
- 1 Avocado
- small handful fresh Cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh Lime Juice
- 5 tablespoons Water
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- 1 - 2 Garlic Cloves (optional)
- Red Pepper Flakes (optional)
- Pulse all ingredients together in a food processor until smooth.
- Garnish with red pepper flakes (optional).
- Serve with crackers, pita bread, vegetables, or use as a spread on sandwiches.
2) This hummus is made without tahini. You can add tahini or sesame paste to this recipe if you like for a more "traditional" hummus flavor. Add a bit more water, lime juice, and salt to taste and texture.
If you are too worried about calories in hummus then try the Cucumber hummus instead.
Don’t want to have avocado in your hummus? Try my Cilantro Lime Hummus. It’s similar to this avocado hummus minus the avocado :D