White pizza is a great alternative to your regular tomato based pizza. It’s a healthy and family-friendly vegan pizza with coconut milk that you can feel good about. The pizza dough recipe is super simple and because it is whole wheat it fills you up and keeps your blood sugar steady.
Hubbs was a little overwhelmed when he heard how much garlic I was putting on the pizza. But the coconut milk adds some great sweetness to it. Coconut and garlic is such a great combination that really plays well together. He was pleasantly surprised and my 3 year old who would usually turn his nose away from too much garlic ate this pizza up so quickly I had trouble keeping up.
The trick to getting this or any pizza for that matter is the crust. I like making my own hearty whole wheat pizza crust but you can also use store bought if you are strapped for time. If you are buying store bought pizza crust you’ll need to make sure that you are able to fold over the edges.
The nice thing about this vegan white pizza is that you can add different toppings to it each time. Just keep the coconut-garlic sauce the same but switch it up by adding tomatoes, green bell peppers, asparagus, artichoke, or olives instead. Your options are endless and you’ll never have a boring vegan pizza again!
- Pizza Dough
- ½ a cube of Fresh Active Yeast (21g or .75 ounces) or 1 Packet Dry Yeast
- ½ cup Water (warm)
- 2 cups (250g) Whole Wheat Flour
- ¾ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Whole Cane Sugar
- Coconut Garlic Sauce
- ½ cup full fat Coconut Milk
- 6 cloves of Garlic (crushed)
- 2 teaspoons Olive Oil
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- Pizza Topping
- 1 medium sized Shallot or Red Onion (diced, or in small rings)
- ½ Red Bell Pepper (finely diced)
- 1 teaspoon dried Oregano
- Fresh cracked Pepper (optional)
- Combine Yeast, ½ Cup (125ml) warm Water, and 2 tablespoons of the flour. Let stand for 10 minutes. Mix with a dough hook or knead with your hands while slowly adding salt and the rest of the flour. Knead until the dough is no longer sticking to the side of the bowl. The dough should not be sticking to your hands but still be soft and moist. (See notes if it is not) Cover dough with plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for 20-40 minutes until it has doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Meanwhile get started on the coconut garlic sauce. Heat olive oil in a saucepan. Add garlic and saute over medium-low heat until garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add coconut milk and salt to saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 3-5 minutes. Set aside.
- Take half of the risen dough and ,using a rolling pin, roll each half into a pizza base/crust. Using your thumb and index finger fold small sections of dough over to form a raised crust.
- Lay on parchment paper lined sheet pan or pizza stone and cover to let rise for another 10 minutes. Repeat with remaining dough to make second pizza base.
- Slowly add half of the coconut garlic sauce to the base being careful not to have it overflow.
- Top with bell peppers, shallots and oregano.
- Bake in oven for 10 minutes.
- Serve hot and top with fresh cracked pepper (optional).
If white pizza isn’t your thing I’ve used the same whole wheat pizza dough recipe with these other pizzas :