This Creamy Almond Soup Recipe is from my cookbook “Awesome Vegan Soups” available now!
This gorgeously creamy almond soup is from recently released cookbook, Awesome Vegan Soups, and I’m beyond excited to finally share a recipe from the cookbook with you all!
First things first though…If you haven’t already gotten a copy of my book. Then you definitely need to!It’s available nearly everywhere where books are sold. *If you already have a copy, be sure to leave me a review! Thanks ;)
Here are just a few to makes things easier ;)
We’re still knee-deep in soup season and to be honest, it never has to end! Awesome Vegan Soups is set up seasonally so you can enjoy soups throughout the whole year!
This Creamy Almond Soup recipe can be found in the “Winter section” of my book. Almonds aren’t necessarily a winter food because they are actually harvested between August and October. However, almonds are readily available all year and plenty can be bought in the winter time. The main reason why I put it in the “Winter” chapter is because of how creamy, filling, warming this soup is. Plus it also just looks like a cold weather soup :)
So how do you make an almond soup?
To start things off, there are three different almond ingredients in this soup: almond butter, almond milk and sliced almonds.
To turn those ingredients into something spectacularly creamy and delicious (and with a whole lot of protein & fiber!!), I added some cannellini beans and cauliflower.
Cauliflower in soup again?!? YES!
Just two weeks ago, I posted a Healthy Mushroom Leek Soup that was also made with cauliflower. It’s not that I have a cauliflower addiction. I add cauliflower to my soup recipes for a good reason. It makes your soups creamy without weighing them down, minimizing the need for lots of oil, butter, milk, cream, etc.
Either way, as much as I love cauliflower, almonds are the star of this soup!
Don’t forget to toast the sliced almonds for garnish. That little extra, warm crunch is so satisfying and you’ll definitely regret not doing it! Not just for this Creamy Almond Soup but for so many other soups as well (like this one!).
Creamy Almond Soup
Yield 2 Quarts (1.9 L)
This soup is my love declaration to almonds. Raw almonds are my go-to snack, almond butter is my favorite spread and almond milk has been adding delicious creaminess to my coffee for the past four years. So it was obvious to me that if I was going to make an almond soup that I would add all three.
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small head (roughly 270 g) cauliflower
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 4 cups (960 ml) vegetable broth, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 g) almond butter (raw, organic, no salt or sugar added almond butter is best!)
- 2 cups (350 g) cannellini beans, soaked and cooked or rinsed and drained from a can (These ones are great! Only beans and water...no other junk!)
- 2 cups (480 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 1/4 of a cup (23 g) sliced almonds, for garnish
- salt and pepper
- Parsley, for garnish
- Dice the onions, mince the garlic and chop the cauliflower into florets. Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium-high heat and add the diced onion. Cook the onion for 5 to 7 minutes until they begin to become translucent. Add the garlic and cauliflower florets and cook for 4 to 5 minutes until the garlic becomes fragrant.
- Add 3 cups (720 ml) of vegetable broth to the pot. Whisk the remaining cup (240 ml) of broth with the almond butter to make a paste before adding it to the pot along with the beans. Cook for 10 minutes until the cauliflower is tender.
- Puree the soup using an immersion blender or in batches in a blender. Return the soup to the pot and add the almond milk. Bring the soup to another boil. Once the soup is boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, dry roast the sliced almonds in a pan over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until the almonds are lightly browned. The almonds will burn very easily, so watch them carefully.
- Season the soup with more salt and pepper to taste. Serve the soup with sliced almonds and parsley.
Courses Entree, Side, Lunch
Cuisine Vegan, Vegetaran, gluten-free, dairy-free, soy-free
Serving Size 1 cup (240 ml)
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value
Total Fat 16.7 g
Total Carbohydrates 33.1 g
Dietary Fiber 13.4 g
Protein 15.2 g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.