As long as you leave off the mayo, most pasta salads are surprisingly vegan and healthy. A couple months ago, I shared my summer pasta salad recipe. It was very easy and used lemon juice, olive oil, and apple cider vinegar as a dressing. This vegan pasta salad is quite simple but I tried to incorporate some Mexican inspired ingredients such as lime, cilantro, and corn. Toss in some tomatoes and cucumber and you’ve got your self one refreshing pasta salad.
Oh, and let’s not forget that my kids absolutely adored this recipe. Major vegan brownie points! The red onions were diced finely that both kids didn’t seem to mind them. #1 just kept guzzling it down like it was ice cream and it made for perfect finger food for #2. #1 kept pointing out that the corn was hiding inside the pasta shells and that he was going to, “eat all the hide-and-seek corn up”. This pasta salad recipe has become our new family favorite and I can’t complain about that. I’m always stoked to make a healthy recipe that we all enjoy. I’m sure most mothers can agree that that is not an easy task. Am I right?
- 16 ounces Whole Wheat Shell Pasta (cooked and drained)
- ¼ cup Olive Oil
- 5 tablespoons fresh Lime Juice
- ½ cup fresh Cilantro (chopped)
- ¾ cup low sodium Vegetable Broth
- 5 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 medium Red Onion (finely diced)
- 2 cups Corn
- 25 small Plum Tomatoes (quartered) - Roma or Cherry Tomatoes work as well
- 1 cucumber (diced)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- Cook pasta as directed on packaging. Drain well and add olive oil, lime juice, cilantro, broth, and vinegar while still warm. Mix well and let pasta cool.
- Once pasta has cooled mix in diced onions, corn, tomatoes and cucumber.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and garnish with a few fresh cilantro leaves.
2) Feel free to use your favorite pasta shape or type for this. Gluten free pasta works well for this too, make sure you use slightly less broth and that the broth is also gluten free.