What’s better than a hot bowl of chili on a cold winter day? A hot bowl of chili with a major protein kick. We know as vegans that we could always use a little more protein in our diet. This chili not only gives you that with kidney beans but with tempeh as well.
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 medium White Onion diced
- 4 Garlic cloves crushed
- 3 small Bell Peppers different colors but at least one green, diced
- 1 large Carrot peeled and sliced
- 2 large Tomatoes diced
- 3 teaspoons Paprika
- 2 1/2 teaspoons Cumin
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 2 teaspoons Salt
- 1 teaspoon Oregano
- 2 teaspoons Thyme
- 3 teaspoons Chili Powder
- 4 cups Tomato Puree
- 3 cups Water
- 1 can Kidney Beans drained and rinsed
- 1 can Corn drained and rinsed
- 8 ounces Tempeh crumbled
- 1 Avocado sliced - optional
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stock pot. Add onion and garlic. Stir until onions become translucent and garlic fragrant.
- Add bell peppers, carrot, and tomatoes and continue to saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add spices and the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil then simmer over low heat for 30 minutes.
- Top with Avocado slices and serve hot.
1) The best way to crumble the tempeh is between your hands straight into the pot. I used about 8 ounces of tempeh which I found to be just right. My husband didn't even realize until his second bowl that there was tempeh in there. 2) You may adjust the amount of cayenne pepper you use. I used just a small amount so that my son could eat it. However in my own bowl, I added more and some sliced jalapenos.