Soup is something I make at least a few times a week. It’s great for dinner to fill you up without feeling too heavy. Then I like to heat it up the next day for a quick healthy lunch. If I’m really hungry then I like to make some toasted garlic bread to eat with the soup.
Sweet Potato-Carrot Soup
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 1 large White Onion diced
- 3 Garlic Cloves crushed
- 5 large Carrots peeled, roughly diced
- 1 medium Sweet Potato peeled, diced into 1-2 inch squares
- 4 cups Vegetable Broth vegan and gluten-free
- 1 tablespoon Paprika
- 1 tablespoon dried Basil or 1/2 cup fresh Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Fresh Cracked Pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon Oregano
- Fresh Parsley for garnish optional
Heat olive oil over medium heat in a large stock pot. Add onion, garlic and salt. Stir until onions become translucent and garlic fragrant.
Add carrot and sweet potato and continue to saute over medium heat for about 5 minutes. Add spices and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil then simmer over low heat for 20 minutes until carrot and sweet potato become tender and soft.
Puree with an immersion blender (recommended) or place small amounts of soup into blender and puree that way.
Simmer for an additional 5 minutes.
Garnish with parsley and serve hot.
1) I can only recommend that every home cook invest in a good immersion blender. I use it for everything from dips, sauces, hummus, to soups. Less mess and faster clean up time. 2) I love adding a few dashes of hot sauce on top on this soup (adults only). It's such a great combination. The spiciness from the hot sauce and the sweetness from the carrot and sweet potato play really well together.
If you like this Sweet Potato Carrot soup then you’ll love the other healthy vegan soups on VeganFamilyRecipes.